Trial Practice & Dispute Resolution
1819 Main Street, Suite 610
Sarasota, FL 34236
Erik M. Hanson is an associate attorney and a member of our trial practice and dispute-resolution group. Mr. Hanson’s practice focuses on civil litigation, including complex commercial litigation, contract disputes, construction litigation, real-estate litigation, and estate and trust disputes.Before joining Norton, Hammersley, Lopez, & Skokos, P.A., Mr. Hanson was a clerk at three insurance defense firms in the Southwest Florida area, specializing in premises liability, construction litigation, and malpractice defense. While in law school, Mr. Hanson was a senior associate on the Stetson Law Review, which published more than fifteen of Mr. Hanson’s case digests summarizing Florida appellate decisions on issues ranging from construction licensing to governmental tort liability.
Mr. Hanson also served as a managing justice for the award-winning Stetson Moot Court Board, winning three brief awards and two oral advocacy awards, including a Best Brief Award and Best Advocate Award from the justices of the Florida Supreme Court.Mr. Hanson earned his Juris Doctorate degree, cum laude, in 2012 from Stetson University College of Law in Saint Petersburg, Florida and his Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science from Florida Gulf Coast University in Fort Myers, Florida. At Stetson, Mr. Hanson was honored with the E. Harris Drew Award for excellence in written and oral advocacy as well as the William F. Blews Award for his exceptional time spent volunteering for Habitat for Humanity and VITA tax preparation services.
Mr. Hanson is a member of the Florida Bar, the Florida Bar Young Lawyers’ Division, and the Florida Bar Trial Lawyers’ Section, the Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section, and the Business Law Section. Mr. Hanson is also active in the Sarasota County Bar Association, including the Sarasota County Bar Association Young Lawyers’ Division and the Sarasota County Bar Association Technology Committee. He is also an active member in the Sarasota Southside Rotary Club.He is licensed to practice in all Florida state courts as well as the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida.
- Stetson University College of Law, J.D. (2012)
- Florida Gulf Coast University, B.A., Political Science (2007)
- United States District Court, Middle District of Florida
- The Florida Bar
- Chairman, Sarasota County Bar Association Technology Committee
- Young Lawyers’ Division Committee Member, Sarasota County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Sarasota County Chamber of Commerce Young Professionals Group
- Lakewood Ranch Business Alliance Young Leaders Alliance
- Scheb Inn of Court, Member
- Member; Southside Rotary Club
- Member; Sarasota-Manatee Bicycle Club
- Income Development Chair, Sarasota Walk-A-Thon; Southeastern Guide Dogs
- Director, Young Leaders Alliance; Lakewood Ranch Business Alliance
- Recent Developments, 41 Stetson L. Rev. 525–623 (2012)