Business & Tax Law
Estate Planning & Asset Preservation
1819 Main Street, Suite 610
Sarasota, FL 34236
John Lopez is a Shareholder and a member of our estate planning, estate administration and asset-preservation group, as well as the business and tax-law group. His practice includes estate planning and probate, tax planning (estate and income taxes), matters related to corporate and business law and the representation of taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service.
A 1978 graduate of Florida State University, he received his Juris Doctor degree from the Florida State University College of Law in 1983. He was awarded a Masters of Law in Taxation Degree (LL.M.) from the University of Florida in 1985. Mr. Lopez has an AV Rating by Martindale-Hubbell, which is the highest peer-review rating attainable.
He is the author of Defining “Trade or Business” Under the Internal Revenue Code: A Survey of Relevant Cases(Florida State University Law Review, 1984), which has been cited by the United States Supreme Court (Commissioner v. Groetzinger, 87-1 USTC §9191 (1987)) and co-author of Generation-Skipping Transfers After the Technical Corrections Bill (Florida Bar Journal, December, 1988).Mr. Lopez is Board Certified in wills, trusts and estates law, as well as in tax law, by the Florida Bar, and is a member of the Southwest Florida Estate Planning Council, the Tax Section and the Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section of the Florida Bar.He has served on numerous non-profit boards and is the former President of the Board of Directors of the Pines of Sarasota Foundation, Inc. and of the Board of Directors of the All Faiths Food Bank.
- University of Florida College of Law, LL.M. Taxation (1985)
- Florida State University College of Law, J.D. (1983)
- Florida State University College of Law, B.A. (1978)
- Southwest Florida Estate Planning Council
- Tax Section, Florida Bar
- Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section, Florida Bar
- Pines of Sarasota Foundation, Inc., former Board Member
- All Faiths Food Bank, former Board Member
- Trinity United Methodist Church, President of Church Council
- Defining “Trade or Business” Under the Internal Revenue Code: A Survey of Relevant Cases (Fla. State L. Rev. 1984)
- Generation-Skipping Transfers After the Technical Corrections Bill (Fla. Bar Journal, Dec. 1988)